West Coast Dojo’s ITF Taekwon-Do program is run by Instructor Scott Brigham, a 5th Degree Black Belt. He is the only internationally licensed International Taekwon-Do Instructor from Tampa to Naples.
International Taekwon-Do is the traditional form of Taekwon-Do passed down from founder General Choi to his students, which focuses on building a strong physical and mental frame.
Our ITF Taekwon-do program is offered for ages 10 and up. The mixed age range is perfect for families wanting to be healthy, fit and learn together.
Our ITF Taekwon-Do classes focus on:
• Self-Defense – Learn how to defend against attacks like wrists grabs and chokes, standing up or on the ground.
• Flexibility – Taekwon-Do involves a lot of high kicking, students stretch at the beginning of class to help loosen the body up.
• Sparring – Sparring is how students learn to apply the techniques they’ve learned throughout classes. (We do a majority of our sparring on Fridays).
• Meditation – Before and after each class we take a moment of silence. Before class students should think about what they would like to achieve. After class, they should use that time to reflect and ask themselves.: “Did I achieve what I set out to do? Did I try my hardest? What can I improve for next time?”
• Patterns – With every new rank students are taught a new pattern. These patterns contain new techniques and become more challenging with each new rank.
• Coordination – Students will be challenged with combinations that will require them to hold their balance or do multiple things all at once. It gets easier over time.
ITF Taekwon-Do Core Tenets:
• Courtesy – Taekwon-Do is a formal art. Treat your peers and seniors with respect.
• Integrity – Never be afraid to speak up about something.
• Perseverance – Keep working on the things that seem like you will never get it. One day you will.
• Self-control – Know your limits and the limits of those around. Never take advantage of someone who seems weaker than you.
• Indomitable Spirit – Never back down from anything you feel passionate about. Keep going until you achieve your dreams.
The tenets of Taekwon-Do are meant to do more than just help you inside the dojo, they’re meant to be helpful in all aspects of your life.
The last Friday of every month we host a grueling endurance night that will be the ultimate test of your physical fitness.
Cost of ITF Taekwon-Do Class Times & Cost
2 nights a week (Wednesday & Friday) at 6:00 pm until 7:30 pm.
Cost: $120 / month.
At West Coast Dojo we strive to maintain a safe training environment, students must have required protective gear to spar. Students who do not have their gear will not be allowed to participate in sparring.
Please contact our office if you would like to sign up or visit our dojo.