Okinawan Shuri-Ryu Karate-do Classes for Adults in Sarasota, FL
West Coast Dojo’s Okinawan Shuri-Ryu Karate-do program meets 3 nights a week on Mon, Tues, and Thurs, from 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm. Advanced Karate students may be invited to attend the weekly Black Belt Karate Class, which meets Monday nights at 8 PM until 9 PM.
The program is taught by Chief Instructor Sensei Abraham Ohrenstein, 4th Dan.
Karate-do, which means “Empty Hand Way” focuses on:
- Striking and Parrying Blocks
- Punches and Kicks
- Knees and Elbows
- Takedowns, Sweeps, and Throws
- Advanced Footwork
- Kumite or Sparring
- Kata or Forms
- Board Breaking
- Fitness and Flexibility
We also practice Kobudo or weapons training with the 5 traditional Okinawan farming tools.
- Bo Staff
- Kama Rice Cutting Blades
What is Okinawan Shuri-Ryu Karate-do?
Okinawan Shuri-Ryu Karate-do is an American style created by O’sensei Robert Trias after he lived abroad and trained in Okinawa during his time in the Navy.
Shuri-Ryu uses elements and principals taught in Shuri-te, Naha-te, Tsing Yi, Kung Fu, and other martial arts combined into one unique system.
Our style also uses the Shuri-Fist which comes from Okinawa. Unlike the traditional fist where all the fingers are closed, the Shuri-fist keeps the pointer finger open and resting on top of the palm. This slight change in the way we make our fist allows for better bone alignment while striking and pushes the seiken or the fore-knuckles forward into the target.
Shuri-Ryu Karate-do has 5 Aminal forms which include:
- Crane – Spiritual and Physical Balance
- Snake – Coiling, Striking, and Breath
- Dragon – Hard Body, Does not move back
- Tiger – Bone Strength, Grip Strength, and Tearing
- Leopard – Inner Outer Strength, Ripping and Shredding
There are eight performance categories of Shuri Ryu Karatedo that include:
- Ippon Kumite Kata – One Point Sparring Forms: These short forms develop power and form through mostly linear blocks and attacks.
- Taezu Naru Waza – Continuous Motion Techniques: These short forms develop speed and fluidity by completing all techniques in one breath.
- Kihon Kumite Kata: Basic Sparring Forms: This set of forms develop power, speed, and form by using angular blocks and attacks.
- Jiju Undo – Free Movement: Similar to shadow boxing, this allows the student to move freely coming up with combos while using advanced footwork.
- Kata – Formal Forms: There are 12 traditional forms in the Shuri Ryu system.
- Kata Kumite – Form Sparring: Students perform short combinations back and forth, attacking from either an animal form or a fighting stance.
- Kimedachi Kumite – Focus Stance Sparring: Both students stand in a horse stance while practicing techniques close in with their hands.
- Jiu Kumite / Jiu Sesson Kumite – Free Sparring / Close in Sparring: Students spar continually for a set time duration.
Shuri-Ryu translated into English means:
- Shu – to learn from tradition
- Ri – to transcend or to go beyond limitations
- Ryu – school, style, or way
Cost of Membership for Adult Karate
$120 a month
We also offer additional program discounts and encourage students to sign up for Jiu Jitsu which compliments Karate well.